For as long as I can remember I have been in charge of making Pecan pie and other desserts for Thanksgiving. It wasn’t until recently that I began to appreciate the significance of these desserts. My love for baking began when I was a young child. I remember making dishes like Pecan pie with my mom and cousin Mitchell and Jell-O fruit salad with my grandmother. I believe today more than ever, that food truly does bring people together. It’s such a great way to make memories, carry-on traditions, and make new ones along the way. A few years ago I started making my Iced Spiced Pumpkin Yodels, and now they are a family favorite. I think I might be disinvited to Thanksgiving dinner if I didn’t arrive with these pumpkin cookies in hand!
This year I am in charge of ALL OF THE Thanksgiving desserts. I’ve been compiling lists in my head all month. Here’s what I’ve got on the menu!
1. Iced Spiced Pumpkin Yodels- like I said, if these pumpkin cookies are not in hand Thanksgiving Day, I might be shunned for life!
2. Apple Pie- my favorite holiday pie, actually my all-time favorite pie. I love warm apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You really can’t beat this combo!
3. Pecan Pie- probably the easiest dessert I make on Thanksgiving Day. I get so much praise for making a delicious Pecan Pie, but little does everyone know, I just follow the recipe on the back of the Karo Light COrn Syrup bottle (I double the amount of pecans tho)! I know I know corn syrup is not a healthy sweetener but during the Holiday’s some traditions just shouldn’t be messed with. One day of refined sugar will not kill us!
4. Blackberry Crumble Pie- can’t forget to add my husband’s favorite holiday treat into my recipe lineup!
5. Chocolate Cream Pie Tarts- Since I already have three pies baking, I’ve decided to make the chocolate cream pie in my mini tart pan, that way we can snack on these goodies before dinner. We aren’t the only ones who eat dessert before dinner riiiight?
6. Baklava- something Andrew’s grandmother Baka always made. She was the matriarch and long time baker in the family. Baka and I bonded early on over our love of baking, after she passed last year; I was honored to inherit the “Family Baker” title. In honor of Baka and her traditions I will make one of her specialties on Thanksgiving Day. This will be my first time making Baklava alone without Baka there to “boss me around”!!! …oh I mean show me her baking ways!
Happy Thanksgiving! May your day be filled with lots of love, laughter and FOOD!
- Mar 15, 2017 Green Paleo Protein Pancakes
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 Pumpkin here, pumpkin there, pumpkin pumpkin everywhere
- Oct 31, 2016 Pumpkin Acai Bowl
- Oct 26, 2016 Iced Spiced Pumpkin Yodels
- Oct 23, 2016 Pumpkin Spice Green Protein Smoothie
- Aug 16, 2016 What's For Dinner?
- May 16, 2016 Cauliflower Fried Rice
- May 12, 2016 Amazing Grass All-In-One Protein Superfood Nutrition Shake
- May 1, 2016 Fit Meets Fab Water Challenge
- April 2016
- Mar 31, 2016 What I Bring to a Baseball Game
- Mar 24, 2016 What I Eat in a Day
- Mar 21, 2016 Maggie's CocoDateNut Energy Balls
- Mar 16, 2016 Happy St. Patrick's Day: How to Eat Green All Day Long
- Mar 16, 2016 Quinoa Pesto Pasta w/ Shrimp & Chopped Veggies
- Mar 15, 2016 Green Protein Smoothie
- Mar 14, 2016 Homemade Shrimp Stir Fry w/ Fried Rice
- Mar 13, 2016 Paleo Egg Salad
- Mar 8, 2016 Homemade Slow-Cooked Turkey Sopes
- Mar 5, 2016 Green Juice Review
- Feb 26, 2016 My All-Time Favorite Superfood Article
- Feb 19, 2016 Egg White Veggie Scramble
- Feb 12, 2016 Healthy Shredded Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Feb 10, 2016 Homemade Protein Acai Bowl
- Feb 10, 2016 Pantry/Fridge Staples For Those On The Go
- Feb 6, 2016 Protein Oatmeal
- Feb 5, 2016 Skinny Slowcooker- Rosemary Chicken & Potatoes
- Jan 31, 2016 CLEAN EATS: Crockpot Chicken & Vegetable Soup
- Jan 28, 2016 My Mug of Morning Magic
- Jan 26, 2016 Dijon Balsamic Roasted Veggie Salad
- Jan 22, 2016 Poached Eggs & Avocado Toast
- Jan 20, 2016 The Best Banana Cake Ever
- Jan 14, 2016 Cilantro Lime Avocado Hummus
- Jan 14, 2016 Gluten Free Banana/ Date Protein Bars