One way I keep a little piece of San Diego with me while residing in Northern California is to make acai bowls. Lately I’ve been buying Sambazon’s Frozen Unsweetened Acai Packets with 0g of sugar and have been loving the concoctions I’ve made! If I’m not eating oatmeal for breakfast then generally I’m drinking a protein smoothie, but recently I’ve decided to change things up and eat my smoothies instead. The recipe below is one of the “smoothie bowls” I’ve been making 2-3 times a week!
From the Cutting Board:
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder (vanilla or unflavored) I like the Amazing Grass brand or an Egg White Powder
- 1 unsweetened acai smoothie packet
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1-2 handfuls of greens (mine were frozen)
- 1 tsp organic almond butter
- ¼+ cup unsweetened almond milk
To the Blender:
Pour all the ingredients from the cutting board into your Blender (I used a Ninja). Add additional liquids (almond milk or water) until you get your desired consistency. Once blended to your liking, pour the mixture into a bowl.
I like to top my protein acai bowl with:
- 1 small handful of fresh mixed berries
- 1/8 cup cup gluten free granola or muesli
- 1/8 raw walnuts chopped
- 1 pinch of unsweetened shaved coconut
- 1 pinch slivered almonds
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- A few drizzles of raw local honey
Bing bang boom! How does this compare to Swami’s or Beaming my San Diego peeps? Kidding... But I do like the protein aspect to my bowl. Give it a try! It’s a great way to get some protein, greens & fiber to start your day!