I am the snacking queen.
Snacks are my middle name.
Snacking is what I do.
Hello my name is Maggie, creator of Fit Meets Fab and I am a snackaholic.
Ok, now that the introductions have been made, lets get to why I bring snacks with me when I travel. Whether I am road-tripping or traveling by plane, I always keep snacks in my purse. When I get hungry I get hangry and no one likes me when I’m hangry (for those of you that don’t know the hangry term, it means hungry and angry)! But the greatest benefit of bringing your own healthy snacks… it will detour you from buying unhealthy food at the airport!
Below is a list of my 5 favorite snacks always with me in my carry on bag!
- An Apple: I generally keep an apple in my purse at all times. It’s a healthy snack, it travels well, and it curbs my sweet tooth. My two favorites are Organic Fuji & Organic Granny Smith!
- Raw nuts: Trader Joes has scored BIG TIME in my book with their “Just A Handful of Nuts” packages. They are the PERFECT snack to pack while traveling. I have two favorites: Just A Handful of Go Raw Trek Mix, which is a combo of raisins, cashews, walnuts and almonds. My other “fav” is Just A Handful of Raw Almonds. Both packs are 200-210 calories of good healthy fat. This small pack will keep you fuller longer than you think!
- Turkey Jerky: Turkey Jerky is now being sold in airports… for a whopping $10, so I like to bring my own from Sprouts or Safeway that only costs me $5. I try and stay away from the Teriyaki turkey jerky as it contains added sugars. This is a great way to get some protein while traveling! Don’t over due the jerky though, too much salt can make you feel bloated and sluggish the rest of the day!
- A Bar: “A Bar” is vague, so I will tell you a few of my favorite “power bars”. #1 on my list, RX Bars. You can find these online or in a few retail shops. This is the only bar that is Whole 30 approved and for good reason. The ingredients for the Blueberry flavored bar, “again my favorite”, are 3 egg whites, 9 almonds, 7 blueberries, 2 dates, and NO BS! These bars are free of gluten, GMO, soy and dairy and have 12g of protein per serving (210 calories). The other bars I keep around if I forget to order RX are Lara and Kind bars. Lara bars are very similar to the RX bars and Kind Bars are a great substitute to eating Just A Handful of Raw Almonds (side note: I only buy Kind bars that are 5g of sugar or less)!
- Cherries or Grapes (whatever is in season): If I’m lucky enough to get to the grocery store before a trip, I like to pack a Ziploc baggie of organic grapes or cherries. These are easy fruit to consume on the plane, plus they are not as LOUD as eating an apple. Both of these fruit are packed with health benefits as well. I eat red cherries and grapes because they are higher in flavonoids making them richer in antioxidants! (side note: non-organic cherries are a crop that gets high doses of pesticides. So if ever eating organic was critical, this food item is!)
While there are 5 healthy snacks listed above, I don’t eat all 5 of these items on a shorter trip. I will always have an apple and a bar in my purse, always! I add the turkey jerky, raw nut packs, cherries & grapes when I know I am going on a cross country flight and to be prepared in the case of airport delays. I like knowing I have other healthy options on hand. I usually treat the bar as a meal replacement, especially on an early morning flight or a lunchtime flight. If it’s going to be a long day and a healthy salad presents itself at the airport or on the way to the airport, I will add that to my bag as well. But trust me when I say my 5 favorites will get you through a long travel day!
I hope I’ve inspired you to start packin’ snacks on travel days. It’s easier than you may think to eat healthy on the go. It just takes a little preparation and a little discipline. As Cameron Diaz says in her Body Book: “Disciple is the key to success” and this could not be more true than with our diet!
*First seen on the GRACEDBYGRIT blog
- Mar 22, 2017 Happy Birthday to my Husband!
- February 2017
- Jan 30, 2017 How I Failed in my Own No-Added Sugar Challenge & Why I Don't Feel too Bad About It
- Jan 28, 2017 A Baseball Gypsy's Baseball Countdown, 3 weeks
- Jan 26, 2017 My 2017 Mantra
- Jan 21, 2017 A Baseball Gypsy's Baseball Countdown, 4 weeks
- Jan 13, 2017 A Baseball Gypsy's Baseball Countdown, 5 weeks
- Dec 31, 2016 My Favorite Things from Twenty Sixteen!
- Dec 19, 2016 The Time Has Come to Sloooooooow Down
- Dec 7, 2016 Note to Self… workout for me NOT for a particular Physique
- November 2016
- Jul 30, 2016 Happy Birthday Scout!
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- Mar 27, 2016 Scout & Wrigley in a New City (Spring Training Edition pt. 2)
- Mar 22, 2016 Happy Birthday to my Husband!
- Mar 10, 2016 Party Like a Pineapple---My Bachelorette Party
- Mar 4, 2016 Scout & Wrigley in a New City (Spring Training Edition)
- Mar 1, 2016 Brunch @ The Montauk