One of my favorite things to do when I’m traveling is read. I look forward to disconnecting from my devices when I’m at the airport or on the plane. I ALWAYS travel with a book in my carry-on bag. Most recently, I finished reading The Body Book, by Cameron Diaz. I learned a lot from this book and have implemented some new healthy habits into my daily routine.
The Body Book, by Cameron Diaz, is perfect for anyone who has had body image issues at some point in their life. Okay ladies I’m guessing we can all raise our hand to this one. The book teaches you how to love your body, how to fuel & nourish your body, and how to live a happy & successful life.
The Body Book is split into three parts, nutrition, fitness, and mind. What I really like about the book is how honest and open Cameron is about her earlier unhealthy habits. It makes her extremely relatable. She is so real when talking about eating fast food, burritos, fattening lattes, smoking cigarettes, and never exercising. Being blessed with “good genes” she was able to maintain a slim physique, so she had no real intention of changing her unhealthy habits.
Cameron’s “gritty” moment came when she started martial arts training for Charlie’s Angels in her mid twenties. She had to make major health & fitness changes in order to perform for the movie. She has maintained a healthy-living lifestyle ever since. Cameron goes into great detail about her healthy living journey throughout the book. So ladies… it’s never too late to get started! I don’t want to spill too much more about the book, but trust me when I say it’s great & totally worth the $15 price tag.
And although I love all the health & wellness talk, my favorite part of the book is one paragraph toward the end when she talks about how to achieve success in life. I liked this part so much that I bent the page & read it aloud to my hubby.
At 24 years of age, I know that I am in the midst of creating the life I want to live. The way I see it, I am establishing habits that I hope will stay with me for rest of my life. We all have competing demands on our time. For some of us it’s our careers and husbands, others are busy moms and wives. No matter where we are in life, we all want that life to be a successful one. I believe Cameron hits the nail on the head when she says “discipline” is the key to success. As a collegiate softball player my coaches would preach being disciplined at the plate. Why? Because that makes you a successful hitter, being disciplined enough to wait for the right pitch. For me, Cameron points out that I must now hold myself accountable. I must be disciplined. As a kid, my parents were the ones doing this for me. That is no longer the case. No one else is going to hold me accountable to a 5AM workout or my food choices throughout the day. It’ s all on me and sometimes I’m just going to have to “grit” it out!
So on that note… here are some new habits I have adopted from Cameron and The Body Book:
- Drink a whole bottle of water first thing in the morning
- Put my phone away 1 hour before bed (or let’s just say I’m working on it!)
- Take the dogs on more walks
- Run to the mailbox
- Eat a bite of food before my morning workouts (I used to just do coffee)
- MEAL PREP (why wasn’t I doing this before?)
- Love my body
*First seen on the GRACEDBYGRIT blog
- Mar 22, 2017 Happy Birthday to my Husband!
- February 2017
- Jan 30, 2017 How I Failed in my Own No-Added Sugar Challenge & Why I Don't Feel too Bad About It
- Jan 28, 2017 A Baseball Gypsy's Baseball Countdown, 3 weeks
- Jan 26, 2017 My 2017 Mantra
- Jan 21, 2017 A Baseball Gypsy's Baseball Countdown, 4 weeks
- Jan 13, 2017 A Baseball Gypsy's Baseball Countdown, 5 weeks
- Dec 31, 2016 My Favorite Things from Twenty Sixteen!
- Dec 19, 2016 The Time Has Come to Sloooooooow Down
- Dec 7, 2016 Note to Self… workout for me NOT for a particular Physique
- November 2016
- Jul 30, 2016 Happy Birthday Scout!
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- Mar 27, 2016 Scout & Wrigley in a New City (Spring Training Edition pt. 2)
- Mar 22, 2016 Happy Birthday to my Husband!
- Mar 10, 2016 Party Like a Pineapple---My Bachelorette Party
- Mar 4, 2016 Scout & Wrigley in a New City (Spring Training Edition)
- Mar 1, 2016 Brunch @ The Montauk